- Are your teeth not as bright as they used to be?
- Do you feel self-conscious when you smile?
- Do you want a whiter smile?
- Do you want easy solutions to teeth discolouration?
- Do you want a smile you are proud of?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, you are in the right place. At Painfree dentistry, we offer treatments and guidance on how to treat and prevent tooth discolouration. We want you to have a bright smile so you can laugh, smile and more with confidence.
What Causes Tooth Discolouration?
There are many reasons why your teeth have darkened. These include habits at home, your oral hygiene and other issues you cannot control such as medication. Have a look at some of the common causes of tooth discolouration.
- Food and Drink – Certain foods and drinks can cause discoloured teeth. Coffee, wine and tea are the major causes.
- Smoking – Smoking is a major cause of stained teeth.
- Trauma – If trauma occurs to children’s teeth from something like a fall this can disturb the enamel in the teeth that are still developing. This disruption can cause discoloured adult teeth.
- Poor Dental Hygiene – If you do not brush and floss correctly you won’t remove plaque and the staining substances from food and drink. This causes discolouration.
- Age – Aging causes the layer of enamel on teeth to wear away, eventually showing the natural yellow colour underneath.
- Medication – Certain medications can cause discolouration. This is something you can discuss with your dentists and doctors.
- Fluoride – Excessive fluoride from rinses, toothpaste and more can cause staining. If you are concerned about this, talk to your dentist.
If you are experiencing discolouration without an obvious explanation, book an appointment with your dentist. If you have any concerns about your dental health, call us.
What Treatment Options are Available?
Every patient is different and at Painfree Dentistry we will offer the right treatment for you. Some of the things we may recommend are:
- Veneers – Veneers can cover the front of a tooth to improve the appearance of a tooth. This treatment covers the discolouration.
- Teeth Whitening – Teeth whitening can be performed quickly and successfully. This a cost-effective and popular treatment.
- Dental Bonding – Dental bonding is a procedure that involves tooth-coloured material being applied to the tooth. Your dentist will discuss this with you if it’s a treatment option.
- Dental Hygienist – You should make regular visits to a dental hygienist. Book an appointment to get your teeth thoroughly cleaned.
How Can You Stop Teeth Discolouration?
Your dentist can help you prevent discolouration but there are also a few things you can do at home. Consider making a few changes to your lifestyle. If you drink tea and coffee think about cutting back and having fewer cups. If you are a smoker consider quitting or try to cut back on how many you smoke. Make sure you brush your teeth twice a day and make sure you floss.
Start your journey to a whiter smile today and call our friendly team. Our dedicated dentists will give you a smile that you can show off with confidence.