Teeth Whitening – 5 myths explained
January 1st 1970 | News and Blog
• Teeth whitening can ruin your teeth: if you buy an unregulated whitening product, there is a high risk that it could cause damage to teeth and gums including the enamel of the tooth. However, if you opt for a chairside whitening treatment monitored by a dental professional, then you will be safe
• Teeth whitening is a painful process: whitening will only cause discomfort when applied to teeth which are very sensitive. This is a problem for those using over-the-counter products. If you were to visit your local dentist, you can expect a dental examination prior to treatment, to determine whether you’re teeth are suitable.
• I just need to do it once: professional treatments done in a dental clinic may last up to 3 years. Even then, you may need additional treatments after six months to a year. Take-home whitening may need even more frequently applications.
• It can work for anyone: whitening treatments don’t work on dentures, veneers, crowns or fillings. Teeth stained blue or grey, often from trauma or medications might not whiten. Teeth that are yellowish in colour usually whiten the best.
• It’s too expensive: At Painfree Dentistry, we offer Phillip Zoom In-Chair Whitening (TOP OF THE RANGE) for $500, and $620 with custom-made take-home kits. Other practices can charge up to $1000.
If you have any questions or would like to come in for a consultation, please do not hesitate to contact us on: (02) 9635 5166 or visit painfreedentistry.com.au